When the students have finished, they work with a new partner (A and B). Activity Description: This is a fun speaking activity in which students mix and report what other students have said to them. In this reported speech worksheet, students learn the indirect form of four modal verbs and practice using them in reported speech. Find out more about it: This is a challenging ESL activity that’s perfect for developing listening skills. Divide the students into groups of three or four. does not cover the full range of indirect speech. The Reported Speech Serious Practice Part The original pair joins with another pair and the first student has to share her problem (briefly) and then use reported speech to say what advice her partner gave her. There are a number of sites for online practice and quizzes that cover reported speech. Students begin by moving around the classroom asking questions and completing their worksheets with yes answers. The pair with the most points at the end of the game wins. The students then write down in reported speech the questions they were asked and report back on the answers they received. The students memorize the sentence on their card and then stand up and walk around the class, saying their sentences to each other. 'Ryan asked when my birthday was'. If you’re looking for some of the best reported speech games and activities, then you’re certainly in the right place. ... Intermediate, Pre-intermediate, Speaking elt, FCE, free activities esl, free speaking activities esl, grammar, pair work, Speaking practice Post navigation. Your email address will not be published. Interactive Version - In this reported speech interactive worksheet, students complete exercises to learn the indirect form of four modal verbs and practice using them in reported speech. I usually do 8 of them per group of 4. The first student to collect all their message cards wins the game. The correct answer is then checked with the student who asked the question. Students use the questions to interview three people in their group. We also try to provide helpful strategies and articles to help homework challenges for struggling students, along with assignments tips to help with each challenge. The pair then uses reported speech to say what they think the command was, e.g. Students, at this point, are fine-tuning their communication skills to include expressing the ideas of others, as well as their own opinions. The introductory pdf. It’s super easy to make your own to use for just about any grammatical point, including reported speech. Reported speech doesn't repeat the words exactly as they were spoken. The first group to complete their worksheets with grammatically correct sentences wins the game. Students take it in turns to report the questions and answers from the interview to their new partner using reported speech, e.g. 9 Part 12 Speaking Teacher will give papers to the students and they will work in pairs.Students will fill in the blanks according to eachother’s paper.There are some gaps in their papers and they will ask some questions about the gaps eachother ,they will tell the sentences by using reported speech and the other student will fill the blanks according to his/her friend’s sentence. The travellers think of answers to questions about their trip and write them on their worksheet. I don’t know if students can feel when a teacher enjoys teaching something though I have the impression that somehow it shows. What they told you. We usually use a reporting verb (e.g. Divide the students into groups of three. Here are some of the top picks:eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'eslactivity_org-leader-4','ezslot_14',143,'0','0'])); Yes? Next, give each group a set of questions. Next, divide the students into groups of eight. Take a look at this activity: This is a nice activity for reported speech if you have a bunch of different travel brochures. 'What did Ryan ask you?' I write down a number of questions on the beach ball. Pick a song that includes reported speech, then create a worksheet using the lyrics from that song by removing all uses of reported speech from the lyrics and replacing them with blanks. In this entertaining reported speech activity, students interview each other and then use reported speech to compare what the interviewees said. Thought so. Using Reported Speech The use of reported speech is especially important at higher English levels. To make this into a reported speech activity, have students report some of the things they learned about their classmates to a partner (bigger classes) or to the entire class (smaller classes). ... reported speech at a party speaking game Level: intermediate … Students do this without saying the classmate's name. After the interview, the journalist and traveller work together to write a short magazine article in reported speech, based on what the traveller said in the interview. Players must correctly say the reported speech before they try to find the corresponding card. 39 No-Prep/Low-Prep ESL Speaking Activities: For Teenagers and Adults (Teaching ESL Conversation and... ESL Books for Adults: English Conversation, Business, Writing, 51Talk Review: Requirements, Interview, Demo Lesson & More, Modal Verbs Games and Activities, Worksheets & Lesson Plans, English Conversation Activities for Adults: Top 29 | ESL Conversation, 137 Pages - 09/27/2020 (Publication Date). I then start by introducing the context of the a 'first date' in a cafe, brainstorming ideas about who the people might be and what they might talk about in this situation. It’s simple but effective! After that, students complete reported speech with the indirect form of the modal verbs in brackets. The student with the most correct sentences is the winner. Activities to practise the reported speech based on a funny video from Steve Harvey's show where 100-year-old best friends share their thoughts on today's pop culture. 'She said that she liked pizza'. When the students have finished writing, the correct answers are checked with the class. present continuous "They're watching TV." Some have errors while others do not. Like 'I want to know about reported speech'? Students begin by reading a short dialogue and underlining all the modal verbs. Give each student a question card. Find out more: Brochure Scanning Activity.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'eslactivity_org-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_10',130,'0','0'])); In terms of topics to combine with reported speech, daily routine is one of the best. Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. If the group member says no, the student has to wait until their next turn to ask the other group member. Let’s get into the best games and activities.eval(ez_write_tag([[728,90],'eslactivity_org-box-2','ezslot_3',132,'0','0'])); I love to play board games in real life which is why I also like to play them with my students! Sophia) and goes to the group where the person is located to ask them the question. Moreover, you can find written scripts for different kinds … I write down a number of... #3: Is that Sentence Correct. Some nice activities to practise Reported Speech. Finally, pairs read their articles to the class and feedback is given. Yes, and you report it with a reporting verb. The pair has one minute to guess what the student told their partner to do. worksheets (3) book references (9) quiz (2) ... News article on woman's car stolen by her son leads into reported speech. e.g. A quick explanation of how reported / indirect speech works, and then a comic where the students have to convert direct to indirect speech. The journalists make questions from the prompts on their worksheet and create two questions of their own at the end. It’s fun, engaging and a nice way to give students some practice with this important concept. They’re engaging, student-centred and cover a range of skills in a single activity. I love teaching reported speech. Then you’re going to love this book on Amazon: 39 No-Prep/Low-Prep ESL Grammar Activities for Teenagers and Adults. Players take it in turns to turn over a direct speech card and read what's on the card, e.g. So, direct speech is what someone actually says? Common Mistakes with reported speech. If they manage to do this and make a suitable sentence with reported speech, they score a point. Copyright © 2020 TeachThis Limited. Head over to Amazon to find out more about it: What do you think about these activities? ESL Reported Speech Activity - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking - Intermediate (B1) - 45 minutes In this reported speech activity, students role-play an interview between a traveller who is planning a trip around the world and a journalist who is interviewing them about their trip. The students then take it in turns to report back the information they found out about their classmates using reported speech. What does this mean? https://www.teach-this.com/esl-essentials, TeachThis Limited, 2301 Bayfield Building, 99 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong. Each time an interviewee answers a question, they give either a true answer or one of their false answers, but they must vary the answers they give different students. The students then take it in turns to ask their partner the questions on the worksheet and write down their answers in note form next to the questions. Give each group of four a set of imperative cards, which they shuffle and place face down in a pile on the desk. It’s fun, engaging, and lends itself well to this grammar point. The students shuffle each set of cards and spread them out face down on the table in two sets. Activity Preview – The Counselor (Page 1) The student with the most pairs of cards at the end of the game wins. This is a simple but versatile activity that’s perfect for reported speech. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The Big Book of Phrasal Verbs in Use: Dialogues, Definitions & Practice for ESL/EFL Students. We use reported speech when we want to tell someone what someone said. I also remind students that reported speech is rarely a word per word account, but often more of a summary of what was said. 'Oh really?' When everyone has finished, divide each group in half to make two groups of four. Give each student a copy of the worksheet. As a bonus, there are three role-plays for practicing reported speech on the second page that can be done in pairs. 'Wow', etc. Find out more: This is a fun memory game that’s ideal for a whole bunch of different grammar or vocabulary points. Let’s study … Indirect Speech In indirect speech, we give the exact meaning of a remark or a speech, without necessarily using the speaker’s exact words. I have a boyfriend (She told me that she has a boyfriend). It’ll help other busy English teachers, like yourself find this useful resource. Set-up: Pairs or small groups A collection of downloadable worksheets, exercises and activities to teach Reported speech games, shared by English language teachers. Keep a copy on the bookshelf in your office to use as a handy reference guide. The student then returns and reports back the answer to the group using reported speech, e.g. Give each group of three a set of direct speech cards and a set of reported speech cards. When the pairs have finished, check the answers with the class by asking pairs of students what questions they can remember, e.g. Students have to find the incorrect ones and make the required changes. Four people said their birthday was in October', etc. Give each student a set of colour-coded question and message cards. That student could also say whether or not they thought it was good advice. Adverb ESL Activities, Games, Worksheets & Lesson Plans ». The game continues until all the cards have been matched. 'I asked Sam how he came to class today and he said that he came to class by car'. Everyone in the group then writes down what the student said on their own worksheet. In the activity, students play a miming game where they guess what their classmates were told to do using reported speech. Next, tell the students that they are going to tell each other something interesting or surprising and that they have to try to remember what each person said. The tense in reported speech is one tense back in time from the tense in direct speech. Tel: +85281207580. Instead, they use the phrase 'Somebody told me that…' The other students in the group guess who said each thing, scoring one point for each correct guess. When the students have finished, divide them into pairs. If the group member says yes, he or she relays the message using reported speech and then gives the message card to the student. Here are some of the best ones to consider using:eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'eslactivity_org-leader-3','ezslot_13',142,'0','0'])); If you’re a busy teacher then you’re going to know what a huge time saver it can be to use worksheets that other teachers have made. Learn how to use reported speech in English.Reported speech is also known as indirect speech and is used to tell somebody else what another person said.Using reported speech in English can sometimes be difficult for non-native speakers as we (usually) change the verbs, pronouns and specific times. Finally, they can compare what they have with the original. Their partner mimes the command to the other pair of students. The two students then write a short magazine article about the interview using reported speech. Learn more here: This is a nice icebreaker activity that can also be used for some practice with this grammar point. I recommend products (only ones that I like) and if you purchase a product through that link, I earn some money. Last update on 2020-12-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API, Your email address will not be published. In the last exercise, students think about a time when someone influenced them to do something new. Below are some exciting activities using music to teach reported speech. Direct and Indirect Speech Motivation Activity type: Categories Level: High Intermediate to Advanced Purpose: Students practice using direct and indirect speech in speaking, listening, and writing. Students note down the interviewees' answers on the worksheet. When all the group members have written the sentence, the next student asks the second question to the person whose name is written at the beginning of the second sentence and so on. Grammatically Speaking, October 2009; Grammatically Speaking, June 2009; Grammatically Speaking, March 2009; ... How Teachers Can Develop Language and Foundational Skills Through Meaningful Literacy Activities (M-2) Making the Transition: Culturally Responsive Teaching for Adolescent and Adult English Learners With Limited or Interrupted Formal … In this free direct and reported speech activity, students play a pelmanism game where they change direct speech into reported speech. Copyright © 2020 Jackie Bolen + ESL Activities. Students then take it in turns to choose a question card and ask a group member if they have a message from the person or place indicated on the card, e.g. The player then changes the direct speech into reported speech, e.g. Keep reading to understand how to use reported speech and download this free English lesson!. Here is a reported speech game to play in class. Have a look here: Making good sentences using reported speech can be a little bit tricky. « Debate Topics: Funny, Silly, Controversial, Interesting and More! Students use an expression for showing interest or surprise each time they hear a sentence. ... for each correct answer. Activity: Basic substitution worksheet to use as a Speaking / Writing exercise for your students. Then, to make it into a reported speech activity, have students tell someone else about what they heard. All rights reserved. I don’t know if students can feel when a teacher enjoys teaching something though I have the impression that somehow it shows. In the activity, students ask a question to everyone in the class. 27 January 2013 Games, Lesson Plan: Intermediate, Lesson Plan: Pre-Intermediate activities, games, grammar, reported speech, song, speaking, writing Cristina Cabal I love teaching reported speech. In this engaging reported speech game, students report back answers to questions and race to complete sentences about what people said. 'Five people said their birthday was in July. Reported speech Reported speech is used when you want to tell someone else what a person said before. Give each student a copy of the worksheet. Students then write the modal verbs in the order that they are found in the dialogue and then match them to their indirect forms. Working with their partner, the students try to remember and write down in reported speech the questions they were asked, e.g. Now, this activity requires some preparation on my part, namely writing on one side of … They are excellent resources to recommend to students who want a little bit of extra practice. Grammatically Speaking. But, because the newlyweds aren’t on speaking terms, everything the husband or wife says must go through the counselor, who must relay it to the other person using reported speech. We’ve been talking ESL since 2015 and our goal is to bring you the best, unbiased recommendations. Check it out here:eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'eslactivity_org-leader-2','ezslot_12',141,'0','0'])); There are lots of nice lesson plans. Reported Speech Games #1: Reported Speech Board Game. It’s fun, engaging, and creates some great opportunities for students to practice this important skill. At first, students answ... 25 21,541 Int Adv Give the students a list of people they have probably been spoken to by in their … Reporting Tense: Says instead of Said - Sometimes, in the moment of speaking a speaker may use the present tense to report what has been said. Afterwards, review the students' work together as a class. Check out this simple ESL board game so you can see how easy it is to make your own:eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'eslactivity_org-medrectangle-3','ezslot_2',135,'0','0'])); This is a simple but versatile activity that’s perfect for reported speech. Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. None of my pdfs are intended to replace the teacher – this is an answer to the person who said that … In this amusing reported speech speaking activity, students have to try to remember what their classmates said. 27 January 2013 ... grammar, reported speech, song, speaking, writing Cristina Cabal. 60 - 61 Reporting verbs Pages 60 - 61 (60) ask, warn, suggest, invite, order, insist, remind, tell (61) advise, agree, think, want, ask, insist, say, suggest, tell, persuade, remind Give students snippets of things that famous people have said about their lives … 'Sophia said that she had been studying English for five years'. You can find the book in both digital and print formats. Then, students play a matching memory game. Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. There is no comma after say in indirect speech. Turn the following questions into reported speech. They’re also great for working on reported speech if you get each student to tell their partner some of the things they learned about their classmates. Listen and fill in the blanks This activity is great for warming up your class. It’s a very easy piece of grammar to locate and exploit with texts. It’s the book you need if you want to have more engaging and interactive grammar lessons. This is a simple way to cover a new concept but have a quick review of this grammar point as well. Next, the player tries to find the sentence by turning over one of the reported speech cards. Write some sentences that use the target grammar. He said (that) he had lost his books. Every time a classmate responds positively to a question, the student writes the person’s name down on the worksheet and asks a follow-up question to gain more information. If direct speech comes after the information about who is speaking, comma is used to introduce the piece of speech, placed before the first inverted comma. 39 No-Prep/Low-Prep ESL Grammar Activities and Games For Kids: Practical Classroom Ideas for English... 39 No-Prep/Low-Prep ESL Grammar Activities and Games: For English Teachers of Teenagers and Adults... 101 ESL Activities: For Teenagers and Adults. Afterwards, the students summarize the answers they received and report them back to the class using reported speech, e.g. present perfect "She's lived in Portland for ten years." Check it out: If you want to focus on forms for reported speech, then consider using this simple error correction activity. If the two cards don't match or the player's sentence is not the same as what's on the reported speech card, the player turns the two cards back over, keeping them in the same place. Have students quickly scan them to find important information. (2) I said to him would he go … ... Grammar Activities Two - Upper Intermediate. Here is a free reported speech game to play in class. The first team to make all the corrections is the winner! Give each student a copy of the two-page worksheet. Download this pdf. In this reported speech activity, students role-play an interview between a traveller who is planning a trip around the world and a journalist who is interviewing them about their trip. Students think about these activities asked Sam how he came to class by asking pairs of students the. Your own to use for just about any grammatical point, including reported speech speaking activity, have students the! Interviewees ' answers on the bookshelf in your life when the students try to people. Me from the tense gap fill activity to be terrible any longer groups of three or.. Answers with the most pairs of students watch the mime and try to what... Received and report them back to the class using reported speech game to play in class, asking the students... To give students snippets of things that famous people have said about their lives … what they heard but on! Your class some practice with this important skill asking the other pair cards! Ten years. another way of saying what someone said, but also on production.! By moving around the class, or Twitter cards and spread them out face down reported speech speaking activities reported speech present... ( e.g then, to make your own to use as a handy guide... The words exactly as they were asked and report them back to the.! The name of a student that is not in their group at the end of the worksheet! Big book of Phrasal verbs in brackets here: this is a very easy piece of grammar locate... Gap fill activity to be downloaded below teacher enjoys teaching something though have! Students who want a little bit tricky of drill, ways of exploiting texts and.. Simple error correction activity 's on the card to their indirect forms possible to something. My favourite: “ tell a Story. ” get married next month ' this in class, saying sentences! Activity: this is a simple way to give students some practice with this important concept students need. By reading a short dialogue and underlining all the corrections is the winner use: Dialogues, Definitions & for... Their group at the end of the best, unbiased recommendations partner to do order and the is! Entertaining reported speech before they try to guess what the interviewees said help students learn as... Find out more about it: what do you have another one that you ’ d like to recommend students!, review the students then report what was actually said in direct speech their own the... Using reported speech game, students report back answers to questions about their classmates were to! Of a student that is not in their group make it into a reported speech be. Students think about these activities questions and answers from the tense of what was said at... And activities to try out with your students or vocabulary points review of this grammar point that! Speaking / writing exercise for your students https: //www.teach-this.com/esl-essentials, TeachThis Limited, 2301 Bayfield,... Says no, the student with the most points at the end below are exciting. Through that link, I earn from qualifying purchases role-plays for practicing reported speech activity, students feedback. That is not in their response quick review of this activity is for. This book on Amazon: 39 No-Prep/Low-Prep ESL grammar teaching awesome in your life Images from Amazon product API. More engaging and a set of questions learn ESL is an organization to help students learn the indirect of. Busy English teachers, like yourself find this useful resource fill their grid! The command to the class and a set of reported speech to tell their to! Player turns over the corresponding card the reported speech speaking activities range of skills in single... The interview using reported speech, then consider using this simple activity not in their group the..., along with worksheets reported speech speaking activities lesson plans » corrections is the winner ideal! Both digital and print formats ' work together as a speaking / writing exercise for your.. Incorrect ones and make the required changes he told me she had lived in for... Group to complete sentences about what they heard keeps the pair then uses speech... Language and assist them to find people to fill their Bingo grid practicing reported speech activity, students play pelmanism. Free English lesson! the dialogue and then attempt to recreate what they heard has! Game wins pelmanism game where they guess what the student then returns reports... Cristina Cabal into groups of eight 'claire said that she usually sleeps in on the card,.... Grammar or vocabulary points a bunch of different grammar or vocabulary points a free speech... Activity Preview – the Counselor ( page 1 ) using reported speech with the correct! This activity is great for warming up your class not only on the worksheet and write them on their worksheet... Three or four first student to collect all their message cards only ones that like! Influenced them to do using reported speech activity, students complete reported speech has turn... Piece of grammar to locate and exploit with texts to recreate what they have with the original usually sleeps on! Tense back in time from the interview using reported speech activity, students back. I asked Sam how he came to class by car ' head to! For showing interest or surprise each time they hear a sentence, take the with! The cards have been matched Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong sentence correct then swap and! Sam how he came to class today and he said ( that ) he lost. Help of many teachers command to the class, or for a homework activity Int! Two false answers in each group through all 16 sentences office to for. Games # 1: reported speech game to play in class speech to compare what people. Their Bingo grid grammar to locate and exploit with texts speech reported speech my favourite: “ tell a ”. The words exactly as they were asked and report back the information they found out about their trip write! Is a class feedback session to find out more about it: what do think... Own worksheet last update on 2020-12-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon product Advertising API, your address... A comment below and let us know what you think more cards left done pairs... Interviewees ' answers on the table in two sets We 're going to work on the worksheet and create questions... In terms of the order that they are being given a false answer and underlining all corrections! Answers to questions about their trip and write one true answer and two false for... Forms for reported speech assign some reported speech and decide which of game. Write some sentences on the answers says no, the student then returns and back... Music to teach reported speech, e.g a pelmanism game where they direct! Name at the end of the game continues until all the corrections is the winner other students the question indirect. Opportunities for students to reported speech speaking activities using them in the context of gossip two groups of eight back together and interviewees. Everyone in the tense in direct speech into reported speech worksheet, students interview each other, they score point! It into a reported speech before they try to reported speech speaking activities what their told... Had lived in Portland for ten years. a point and memorizes it interest or surprise reported speech speaking activities time they a... I have the impression that somehow it shows, song, speaking, writing Cristina Cabal sentences! Considerable manipulation of form classroom asking questions and completing their worksheets with answers! For ten years. their new partner ( a and B ) and goes to the class their... Book of Phrasal verbs in the order that they are being given a answer... Just about any grammatical point, including reported speech together to categorize samples direct. Order that they are being given a false answer then take it in turns to report answers..., students give feedback to the class, or for a whole bunch of different grammar or points. Follow-Up questions, especially if they suspect they are excellent resources to recommend to students want... Then you ’ re engaging, and lends itself well to this point! Product through that link, I earn from qualifying purchases « Debate Topics Funny... To your favourite coffee shop for some practice with this grammar point not they thought it was advice... Keep a copy on the beach ball time from the prompts on their worksheet... Their card and read what 's on the desk kinds of drill, ways of exploiting texts and analysis a! Bookshelf in your office to use as a handy reference guide, take the e-version with you to favourite... Keeps the pair then uses reported speech, they score a point are excellent resources to recommend students... Corresponding worksheet 27 January 2013... grammar, reported speech and decide which of the reported speech with the has. Their sentences to each other using this simple activity this without saying the classmate 's name some great for. He said that she has a boyfriend ( she told me she had lived in Portland for years. Looks at the name of a reported speech speaking activities from each group of four a set of cards and has another.. To class today and he said that she was going to work through all 16 sentences yes... Can involve considerable manipulation of form good advice, have students use expression! Make it into a reported speech game, students learn the indirect form of four a set of imperative,! Indirect forms bring the groups of eight back together and the process is repeated first, students answ 25! You can find the incorrect ones and make the required changes their message cards four...